This Code of Ethics is intended to serve as a guide for all members of the International Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club, Inc. It exemplifies our role as guardians of the breed. We have a common interest in the protection and well-being of the breed at large and of the individual dogs that members own and breeders produce in their breeding programs. Implicit in membership in the International Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club, Inc. is the understanding and full acceptance of this Code of Ethics.
Let us work together for the betterment of Shiloh Shepherds, always keeping in mind that we are creating history. Let us work with, not against each other. Let our goal be to dedicate ourselves to virtue, not to profit. With a united effort our breed will rise to popularity. Let our Code of Ethics protect our dogs from destruction resulting from greed and unscrupulous breeders, so that Shiloh Shepherds may stand and shine in all their glory and potential.
Filing a grievance? Read the Code of Ethics carefully first and then follow the procedures listed below.
As a member of the International Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club, Inc., I promise that:
- I will comply with the Constitution and By-Laws of this organization and this Code of Ethics.
- I will act in a professional manner when representing the Shiloh breed to the public,
- Familiarizing myself with the rules of sanctioning bodies of events in which I participate and honoring those rules;
- Bringing any concerns or issues to the attention of the appropriate official in a professional manner;
- Referring questions that I can not answer to an ISSDC, Inc. Board member, any other qualified officer of the ISSDC, Inc. or designated registry personnel;
- Not attempting to supply answers to questions that I am not qualified to answer.
- I will refrain from making false statements regarding any Shiloh Shepherd registry or organization, any Shiloh breeders, or any Shilohs in any public or private forum. This includes the internet and the social media.
- I will exhibit good sportsmanship and good will at all dog-related events;
- Showing only well-groomed dogs in excellent condition;
- Having water and proper crating or pens to keep my dog(s) confined;
- At no time allowing my dog(s) to be loose or off lead when not confined;
- If it is hot, providing a shaded area for my dog(s).
- I recognize personal responsibility for the health, happiness, and well-being of all dogs in my care, and take that responsibility seriously;
- Treating my dogs humanely;
- Providing my dogs with high quality food, water, weather appropriate shelter, veterinary care, exercise, grooming, and the socialization and training necessary for them to reach their full potential.
- I will participate in efforts to assess and improve the health of the Shiloh Shepherd breed;
- Providing valid, reliable, responsible testing for hereditary diseases;
- Sharing health information with other ISSDC, Inc. members;
- Being honest and factual in any written or oral statements about my dogs and kennel.
As a Breeder, or potential breeder of Shiloh Shepherds and a member of the International Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club, Inc., I recognize that I must act as a leader and a role model and exemplify the very best conduct and practices possible. To that end and in addition to the above, I will do my best to adhere to the following:
- I will breed only the best possible specimens in accordance to the Breed Standard in order to continually improve the breed for future generations;
- Selecting all breeding pairs by reviewing littermate information, relationship co-efficiency reports, and breed warnings on all prospects being considered for breeding;
- Using only Shiloh Shepherds that are healthy and free from serious congenital and hereditary defects;
- Not using any bitch or stud dog that is known to have developed such a health problem.
- I will represent the accomplishments of my Shilohs fairly and accurately, striving to participate in such events that will demonstrate the quality of my Shilohs;
- Understanding the importance of showing my Shilohs and having them judged by a variety of professional judges at events including Shiloh Shepherd Specialties;
- Understanding the importance of developing the working abilities of my Shilohs and demonstrating their aptitudes and soundness at events including (but not limited to) obedience, herding, and agility.
- I will represent my dogs and all their progeny honestly, giving accurate and complete information to potential buyers, other breeders, and organizations when asked.
- I will maintain integrity in the price charged for my breeding stock and puppies, not “undercutting” prices for a quick profit.
- I will study past generations with regard to the faults and virtues my breeding may produce, understanding that as a breeder, it is my obligation to seek help from qualified, knowledgeable colleagues and experts on improving my stock whenever necessary.
- I realize that proper socialization, health, care, and nutrition are vital in bringing out the full potential of this breed.
- I understand that keeping my Shiloh Shepherds in the very best health is critical to my success in producing the best possible progeny;
- Ensuring that ALL puppies I sell will be properly immunized, wormed and vet checked;
- Striving to keep each of my dogs and puppies in the best possible condition.
- I will ensure that ANY Shiloh Shepherd I produce, without exception, must be sold with a written guarantee, signed by both parties;
- Agreeing to properly supervise, to the best of my ability, all of my co-ownership(s), breeder’s agreement(s), and spay/neuter contracts;
- Agreeing to uphold my guarantees in a fair and timely manner, as outlined in my contracts.
- I will ensure that puppies from my kennel go to the best possible homes;
- Never selling puppies to pet shops (either outright or on consignment), or supplying puppies for auctions, raffles or other such activities;
- Never selling to persons whose intention (either known or suspected) is to resell or use the puppy in a breeding program not complying with this Code of Ethics.
- I understand that it is recommended that I have all my litters evaluated by an experienced tester at the appropriate age of 7–8 weeks.
- I will ensure that all puppies will remain with the breeder until the age of 8 weeks, assuring proper development and socialization that is only received while puppies remain with littermates and mother.
This Code of Ethics is presented as a guide for members whose foremost aim should be the welfare, improvement and advancement of the Shiloh Shepherd, in accordance with the Standard, as approved by the International Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club, Inc.
v. 5/2014 per Member Vote